Getting a visa for Equitorial Guinea - June 2018

50 Days before my trip and I was told that I only needed an itinerary and R750 to get a visa for Equatorial Guinea (E G).  I tried to get hold of the Embassy numerous times - whilst getting visas for 3 other Central African Countries.  After getting nowhere telephonically, I paid the embassy a visit.  I met a forlorn security guard and he informed me that it was a public.

After numerous fruitless phone calls, I finally got hold of one "Maria".  She told me to phone later and she would, in the meantime, find out which documents and forms were needed to apply.  After a few more calls, she acknowledged that she still had no idea of which forms were needed as she is not employed in the visa department.

I rushed off to the embassy again and met "Mavis".  She was the receptionist and cleaner.  She informed me that I needed a police clearance certificate.  Time was running out and I rushed around like a headless chicken trying to obtain it.  I was told that it normally took 8 weeks...  I was so desperate and it felt so hopeless.  After 10 days, a lot of running around swearing, praying, daily visits to the police, and a bunch of "Urbanols", I was presented with my police clearance certificate.  Everyone in the police office cheered as I was about to leave and I was asked to come back and show them photos after I return from E G.

I rushed off with my police clearance certificate a bit relieved.  Mavis was almost as excited as I was!  Another 7 days and I should have my visa...  To ensure I got it, I booked a hotel room for a week - standard procedure when applying for a visa - because you merely cancel it afterwards.  In Equatorial Guinea, the cheapest room I could got was R2 000 per day - I needed to stay 9 days...

I visited Mavis twice during the 7 day period, hoping to get my visa before the time.  On the day I had to fly to Cameroon, I walked into the Equatorial Guinea’s Embassy.  "Hi Mavis, where is my visa?".  I was very close to tears when she told me that Maria took my passport, and would be sending it to E G.  I explained about the R18 000 hotel booking loss since they won’t refund me, the flight ticket was paid for....  She phoned someone and told me to return in an hour.   

I was desperate!!  Maria phoned me and I guess she could hear that I was kind of hysterical.  How could this even be happening??  She told me that their procedures changed since April 2018.  Yea right!  And for 50 days I have not been able to see anyone working in the visa department!  I literally begged her to try and arrange a visa maybe somewhere in Libreville.  When she finally phoned me back by 15:00, she also sounded very close to tears...  she said that there was nothing further that she could do...  

Just before boarding my flight to Cameroon, I rushed to pick up my passport, at this stage just grateful that it hasn’t been send to E G yet.  

In Cameroon we tried in vain to get a visa at the Equatorial Guinea embassy.  According to them, it was almost impossible to get one and I clung onto the idea that I might get one in Gabon or Sao Tome

And then one "Emmanuel" phoned me.  For CAF 400 000 he could get me a visa.  After an hour, the price was increased to CAF 450 000 (R11 000).  I was more than willing to pay. 

I almost had a heart attack when it was mentioned that it might be cheaper if we try in Gabon.  If it should fail, I could send my passport back to Cameroon via a taxi and then Emmanuel would get the visa.


Shortly afterwards I met Emmanuel and he seemed like an honest person.  He scrutinized my documents (clearly knowing what papers would be needed before leaving).  I spent the next two days frantically waiting for news, and prayed that he managed to get a visa for me.  

Miraculously, on the last evening, he handed me my passport with the "golden" visa inside!
I was so grateful and relieved... all was well in Africa.



No comments:

Post a Comment