Uganda - Mt Sabinyo

In Africa, things don’t always work out the way we plan.

I arrived in Rwanda with anticipation for my climb up Mt Karisimbi, only to discover that my permit had now been revoked due to safety issues. I was left with two choices.
1. stay in my guest house for two days or,
2. go back to Uganda and climb the volcanoes there.

Three hours later I was back in Uganda, much to the immigration officer’s surprise.

Mt Sabinyo (3669m)
I had not prepared myself for any of the climbs in Uganda. I was told that if you summit Mt Sabinyo, you are on the border of the DRC, Uganda and Rwanda. Mt Sabinyo is also called 'Old Man's Teeth' because unlike the conical summits of the surrounding peaks, the serrated summit resembles worn teeth in a gum line.

What they didn’t tell me was that it was a 1300m elevation gain, steep and exposed.

I was joined by two couples, who started too fast for me. At first, I thought I wouldn't make it but at the first hut, I caught up with them.  The altitude was getting to some of them and if it wasn’t for the vegetation and the ladders, the hike to the top would have been extremely scary.

Having set my foot on the border of DRC, Uganda and Rwanda, I was more than ready to head down. 

It was very steep!

After the first 50m descend, I had to stop and wait for a while for my legs to stop shaking and welcomed the break.   

On our way down Mt Sabinyo, I was told about Mt Muhavura, the highest volcano in Uganda.  I was also told that you could swim to Rwanda once you get to the top.  I decided there and then that I was going to climb Mt Muhavura the following day.

Breathtaking view


 
On the Rwanda/Uganda and DRC border

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Karen for taking about Mount Sabinyo. This should one one of the addons on the Uganda or Rwanda safari.

    ReplyDelete