Uganda - Mt Muhavura

It was whilst descending Mt. Sabinyo that I was told about Mt. Muhavura, the highest volcano in Uganda. I was also told that you can swim to Rwanda, and my fatemind was made up.   

Mt Muhavura - the highest volcano in Uganda (4127m)
After a rejuvenating shower, I went for supper where I bumped into two Hollanders who told me about this crazy lady that wants to swim to Rwanda. “Oh, I said.  That's me.  Do you want to join me?” 

For some reason, they only decided to join me for the hike. I had to get back to Rwanda before the border closed the next day so the idea was that I leave very early and that they would come later with a taxi and that I would bump into them coming down.   

The start - 2381 m
My legs were still a bit shaky after climbing the 1300m to Mt. Sabinyo’s peak the day before, but when the motorbike stopped in front of the backpacker’s at 04h30, I ran outside, ready to climb Mt. Muhavura.   

In the beginning, I thought it was quite funny that the motorbike driver had to stop every now and again to answer his cellphone.  An hour later, I was no longer amused.  The Hollander’s taxi, which left an hour after me, arrived at the parks gate at exactly the same time.
 
“Go, Go, Go”, they shouted and I started running. I was stopped by the guide, who said he knew I had to get across the border to Rwanda but that I had to wait for the other two.  An hour later, a decision was made. I would take one guide and a porter with me, and the other two would follow.  The super fit porter and guide were a true inspiration, and I followed huffing and puffing, using a lot of mind over matter to convince myself that this was just a walk in the park. 

It was freezing, and although a bit disappointed, I have convinced myself that a swim on top was out of the question.

All of a sudden, we were at the top. “So that’s the lake”, I asked!  “Yes, that’s the lake”, came the reply.  "How high is it?", I asked. "4137m", they shouted.
 
Much to my guide and porter’s surprise, I started stripping.  When it was only my thermal undies left, I jumped in. The water was absolutely freezing, but I made it to the other side.  


Swimming to Rwanda
Somehow, I managed to get back into my warm clothes, but it took me a good hour before I stopped shivering. Running down, I passed the two Hollanders.  “You didn’t”, they shouted. 

“Hmmm, I was going to, and then I was not going to, but in the end, I did it! Life is too short not to do it” 

On top of Mt Muhavura - freezing after my swim
Thankfully, my motorbike driver was waiting patiently. I gave the driver explicit instructions not to use his phone, which must have unsettled him, because he drove like a lunatic. I closed my eyes and prayed! Ten minutes before the border closed, I greeted the surprised border official again.   I had crossed the Rwanda/Uganda border no less than four times during the past two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment