Mauritius - Piton de la petite Riviere Noire aka Black River Peak

Climbing Mauritius’ highest peak, sounded like a holiday in paradise. At my best, I am not so great with directions and maps – so when Christa Van Schalkwyk started arranging accommodation and transport for our trip, it was such a welcome relief.  Of course, 5 star hotels were out of the question but after searching for ‘cheaper’ accommodation, we stumbled upon the Mountain View apartments.

We arrived after 19:00 and our taxi driver was waiting to take us to La Gaulette.  The trip started off great. Our taxi driver took the wrong turn-off but the roads are narrow in Mauritius so he was forced to put a lot of extra kilometres on his speedometer before we were back on the road to La Gaulette.  The road is also very winding and travelling at 80km/hour, I got carsick for the first time in my life. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the accommodation and Shan, the owner, who went out of his way to assist us.
The next morning at 6:00, we started our hike to Le Morne Brabant, an UNESCO World Heritage Site.  I was told that it was pretty exposed, but I chose to ignore that bit of information and by talking just about non-stop with the rest of the group, I missed all the exposed parts.
  
On top of Le Morne Brabant
Christa was ready for the beach and asking around, we were told that the beach in Le Morne was only 5 minutes away. In most of the African countries, you are told that whatever you are looking for is just around the corner – or not very far.  In Mauritius we were told that whatever we were looking for, was only 5 minutes away. 

It felt great to be lying on the beach with my hiking boots on and no-one seemed too surprised when I walked into the sea wearing my hiking clothes. 

Getting back to La Gaulette was another matter.  We were told that we could wait all day for local transport and we were advised to hitchhike, which we did.  Scared and surprised when a truck with 3 guys stopped – but we got in.  The driver refused to take any money and by now I was very impressed by the friendliness of the locals. 

Lying on my bed, I heard an ‘explosion’ and ran outside.  The electrical cable was on fire and the people next to us said it is extremely dangerous. I decided to grab my passport and get away as far and as fast as possible.  I have, after all, still a lot of mountains I want to climb.  When I was convinced that nothing was going to explode, after this quick getaway, I looked into my backpack. I had packed in my passport, wallet, a clean set of undies, my favourite shirt and a book to read. 

For the rest of the evening we had no electricity and decided to have some cocktails but since we were on a tight budget, we got some cane and orange juice at the local supermarket.  We could not find any ‘umbrellas’ and settled for birthday candles.  Whilst sipping our ‘cocktails’, I realised that using burning candles instead of decorative umbrellas could end up with my hair scorched. Since we had already an eventful day, I decided to extinguish the burning candle.  Shan arranged transport to the highest mountain in Mauritius for the next day.

Kunal, our taxi driver for the day, arrived at 06:00 and it was only after a while that we realised that he did not know that we wanted to climb Black Rock peak.  So we had to go all the way back to where he dropped us.  For some reason I thought the hike was only 30 minutes, but it turned out to be 3 hours. I loved the forest, and every now and again I had to hug a tree.  The last part was surprisingly steep. We used the ropes that someone put in place. The view from the top was breathtaking. We spent at least 30 minutes on top admiring the view.  
What a view on top of Mauritius' highest mountain
Then it was time to go down. Taking it step by step, whilst clinging to the ropes, we finally made it past the steep part.  I can’t image anyone getting down without using the ropes – and definitely not after some rain. Our taxi driver was there to pick us up. Can you believe that he gave us a discount, because he did not have to travel too far?  It was so uplifting to realise that there are honourable people around.

That evening, after watching an amazing sunset, we had some cocktails (it was happy hour after all) whilst listening to a local band. It was Sunday the next day, most of the places were closed but we managed to find a taxi driver willing to take us around. The plan was to visit the 7 coloured earth dunes, hike down the 7 waterfalls, visit the temple and then have a swim on a nice beach.

Our appointed taxi driver picked us up at 08:30 and then our ‘tour’ started. After visiting the 7 coloured earth dunes, we were taken to a view point where we could ‘see’ the 7 waterfalls.  When we told him we wanted to hike down, he stopped at a remote ‘view point’ and we started ‘hiking’.  Pretty soon we realised that we were dropped off at the wrong place and started to hike back.  Lucky for us, we bumped into a couple in love.  They said we must follow them......  It turned out to be the 5 minute story again.  A couple of “5 minutes’ later, we arrived at a very well-marked path.  I asked the girl to explain to our taxi driver where we must be picked up and she told him it was in front of a temple.  After a steep hike down, I had to jump into the pool.  Once back, we realised that our taxi driver was still missing.  A couple of phone calls later, he arrived, apologizing profusely.  He was waiting at a different temple.  
Abseiling down a waterfall
Looking for a nice beach where we could swim on a Sunday was not the greatest idea. Busloads of people were everywhere and when we had to use a toilet, we had to compete with 20 other people getting dressed in a 2 X 6 m room. To celebrate another adventurous day, we stopped for more cocktails.

The same taxi driver who drove us from the airport arrived to pick us up.  I opened my window, fastened my seatbelt and tried not to vomit whilst he drove 80 km around the bends, abruptly stopping for every speed bump in the road.

It was definitely a great adventure and realising that there are countries where the people are honest and so helpful, was so inspirational.

No comments:

Post a Comment